Our History Reed & Hoppes was established in 1947 in Portland, Michigan by Robert and Florence Hoppes. Bob worked in a machine shop for a while, but his burning desire to be his own boss caused him to buy a wrecker in 1947 and start towing in downtown Portland. Five years later, he and his wife bought some farm land five miles out of town and they started building what is now an impressive operation by any measure. All they had in the beginning was a chicken coop. Today, a modern, well-equipped and roomy automotive shop houses the entire fleet and serves as an assembly plant and paint shop. Bob and his wife, Florence, were married almost 50 years and together they raised ten children, six of whom are actively involved in the business she helped build. To quote Mr. Hoppes, "What we have become as a business and family is due in part to Florence's influence and leadership." This is truly a family built and run company with 24 dedicated and much appreciated drivers, and 25 hard-working trucks.
Not only does Reed & Hoppes operate a diversified fleet of 25 trucks, it also serves as a distributor for Century, Vulcan, Champion, Challenger, Eagle, and Holmes. Reed & Hoppes was the first company in the county to own and operate the "Jaws of Life," a tool used to extricate victims from accident vehicles. Reed & Hoppes received in June 2002 a plaque inscribed in appreciation of fifty years of "Outstanding Service to the Ionia State Police Post, Citizens of Michigan, and the Ionia County Sheriff's Department." Robert Hoppes, Sr. returned September 29, 2002 from Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was inducted into the International Towing and Recovery Hall of Fame. Mr. Hoppes was nominated for this by Mr. Gene Bertani because of his loyal server and dedication to not only the towing Industry, but to his community and family.